EDUCATION STUDENT CLASSROOM OBSERVATIONS
Student Observation (The approval process must be completed for each semester.)
GISD welcomes the opportunity to support students enrolled in college teacher education programs and teacher interns who need to fulfill course requirements through classroom observations. A student wishing to observe a GISD classroom must follow the process outlined below in order to provide for the safety of GISD students and to accommodate the schedules of the campuses and teachers on those campuses.
- The student must complete both a combined criminal history form and a Campus Observation Request form prior to receiving approval to conduct classroom observations on any GISD campus. The completed forms must be submitted in person to the HR department along with a driver's license or other form of picture identification. Verification of required observations hours is also required (i.e., syllabus, instructor's notes, etc.) The GISD required forms are attached below.
- The HR department will submit a name-based criminal history check to the Department of Public Safety. Once the background check has been determined to be clear, approval for classroom observations will be granted.
- Following the student's approval, the HR department will notify the secretary of the campus(s) requested on the Campus Observation Request form that the approved student will contact them to schedule a classroom observation.
- Students will be issued a letter of approval from the Human Resources department. The letter of approval along with a picture ID must be presented to the campus administration when arriving on a campus to either schedule or conduct classroom observations. Students may contact the HR department approximately 24 hours after submitting their request in order to obtain the letter of approval.
- The student is required to contact the secretary at each campus for which they have been approved to visit to schedule an observation time. Students who do not pre-arrange an observation time or who have not been approved for that campus will not be allowed to conduct an observation and the campus secretary will notify the HR department.
- Student observers are expected to conduct themselves professionally in manner and dress while observing at a GISD campus.
Students in a teacher certification program who desire to complete the clinical teaching element with GISD will be subject to fingerprinting. Please contact Robert Loomis in the GISD Human Resources office for more information about the fingerprinting process. 940 549 0595
DPS Criminal History Verification Form
Criminal History Record Information Form
Clinical Student Teaching Placement Request Form
Campus Observation Request Form